High Volume Foods for Fat Loss and Health – Stay Fuller for Longer.
Introducing high volume foods into your diet is an easy way to get more for your calories if you are looking to lose fat and increase your health and wellbeing. Having higher volume foods will help you to feel fuller for longer whilst enabling you to keep calories under control by providing the body with nutrients which it needs.
So what do we mean by high volume foods? Having more high volume foods means having foods in your diet that are nutrient rich but are also low in calories, these foods are high in fibre and water. If you combine high volume foods with protein you will be fuller for longer with greater overall health.
Examples of high volume foods are:
1. Vegetables – Lettuce, Broccoli, Cucumber, Mushrooms, Onions, Spinach, Kale
2. Fruit – Apples, bananas, oranges, strawberries
3. Sweet potatoes
6. Brown rice
Ideas of introducing higher volume foods to your diet whilst also saving calories:
1. Courgetti to replace spaghetti.
2. Butternut squash or sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes.
3. Don’t drink your calories.
4. Drink more water.
5. Increase fruit and vegetable intake at meal times and decrease portion sizes of starchy carbohydrates.
6. Go for high protein foods that have less fat content, fat contains 9 calories per gram so going for foods such as 5% lean mince instead of 10% plus will save you calories.
Meal Plan Example:
Breakfast – 2 portions of fruit and a protein shake.
Lunch – Protein (chicken/fish) based salad (primarily greens).
Mid afternoon – 1 portion of fruit and a protein bar.
Dinner – Meat of choice, plenty of veggies and starchy carbohydrate of choice (go for quinola, brown rice or sweet potatoes).
Of course if you want to be serious about understanding calories in foods, download myfitnesspal and start tracking your diet.